Tuesday, November 3, 2009

NANOWRIMO at RR

November is National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) in which new writers are encouraged to figure out a way to write an entire 50,000 word novel in 30 days (which is a little over 1600 words a day).

Last year more than 100,000 writers participated, and every year one or two of them get published.

We'd like to increase the odds.

Ravenous Romance novels are 50,000 - 60,000 words. We love finding new writers. So, we'd really like you to write a 50,000 word novel for RR.

Although we publish just about every category of erotic romance, our readers are anxious for more M/M/, paranormal and menage. We'd love to see more science fiction erotic romance, or what we cal Futurotica. And, of course, we always love good contemporary and historical novels.

Our guidelines are up on our website,
http://www.ravenousromance.com/images/stories/ravenousromancesubmissionguidelines.pdf

So, from Dec. 1 until New Year's Eve, send us your completed NaNoWriMo erotic romance, and if we think you're good enough, you might win a contract, as well as a $200 advance. Your novel will be published in 2010. Should your work be chosen, we'll interview you on the RR blog and the RR Ning, so you can share your story.

Should the submissions merit it, we'll give out first, second and third place awards, but every novel published will get the $200 advance.

We're looking forward to publishing your NaNoWriMo novel!

Send completed novels, with an outline and a author bio, to: submissions@ravenousromancecom.

Ravenous Romance is a publisher of e-books and audiobooks led by three longtime publishing professionals who see digital publishing as the new mass market. They launched www.ravenousromance.com on December 1, 2008 and have published more than 200 novels, anthologies, and short stories since. Ravenous Romance produces and sells the “Escape with Romance Collection” of trade paperback novels exclusively on HSN, and has licensed print rights to many of its other titles to traditional publishing houses.

15 comments:

Sarah Arch said...

I promised myself I wouldn't start anything new until my current work-in-progress (which is under a different name and different genre) is out the door. But I can never resist NaNoWriMo!

And I have such a good idea for a novel I think will fit nicely at Ravenous.

It's been great fun to toss everything else aside for a month and throw myself into a new novel.

Since I've been fantasizing about this one forever, the writing is going very quickly!

Honolulu Writer said...

should the manuscript, outline, and bio be in a single word document?

Ravenous Romance said...

Honolulu-

Either three attachments or one, is fine.

ryan field said...

I love that you guys are doing this.

Aleksandr Voinov said...

You are so, so courageous. 1rst December? Then all those words haven't even been edited yet!

Ravenous Romance said...

From the First untii the 31st, so they have a month to edit. But I know writers, and sometimes, they just can't wait to send things in (they want to be the first one in the door), so we'll start reading as soon as they come in (because we think there will be quite a few submissions).

Aleksandr Voinov said...

4 weeks is not nearly enough to get major flaws out of a manuscript. Seriously, it takes at least 3 months, probably closer to 12 months, to get a manuscript up to specs. I hope you'll have a TON of free painkillers and booze for your submission editors.

Ravenous Romance said...

Alek-
That's old-fashioned print thinking, which is a luxury. Writers won't have that kind of time in the brave new epub world. If you want to, you can do anything in a short period of time.

Tis said...

By "outline" do you mean an actual outline, or more of a chapter-by-chapter synopsis?

I only ask because neither is specifically mentioned in your submission guidelines and so many publishers use the two words interchangably.

Aleksandr Voinov said...

I think good, well-edited books are timeless, but maybe I'll just join my fellow dinosaurs in the museum. It's nice and quiet there. *totters off*

sexywriter said...

Alek, I concur w/ RR. I currently write for RR and I have turned out 9 books for them in 12 months. All of those books have gone on to get 4- and 5-star reviews from respected review publications. It's a grueling schedule, but it can be done.

Jamaica Layne

Ravenous Romance said...

Outline- an overview of the plot making sure you explain how things are resolved.

Ravenous Romance said...

Writing is about learning and mastering style and craft and pacing of information. I've been writing (and pubbing) for three decades (since I was 17) and it took me forever when I was a kid, and now I can write good, well-crafted prose at a speed I never imagined. But the first thing you learn about writing is that writers write. That's what NaNoWriMo is really about - getting that book out of your head and onto the page. A writer's group, a good editor and even your reader will tell you what works, how to make it better and where to improve. NaNoWriMo and RR is not about the Great American novel. It's about finishing your first novel. My advice to first time authors has always been to write the novel you can finish. It will teach you how to write the next one.

mommyknows said...

This is exciting. I just finished a rather racy, nanowrimo romance.

I am going to start editing and send it in on the first.

Honolulu Writer said...

I'm busy editing and proofreading! Quick question: If the final (hopefully, polished) project ends up just under 50,000 does that take it out of the running for RR? How close to the 50,000 does a novel need to be to qualify for RR publication.

okay, another question. I realized AFTER I finished NaNo, that RR has another story with a similar type heroine. Would you still consider the story for publication?